PC App

Discuss the SplashBase & get support

PC App

Postby Dave » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:53 pm

I received my new SplashBase and SolderBridges this morning. Thank you.

I am able to connect to the SplashBase using putty and issue commands but I can not get the PC App to find my SplashBase.

Could you please tell me how to do this?
Dave

Re: PC App

Postby Carl-SolderSplash » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi Dave,

I've just uploaded my current version of the PC application, there was a small issue causing it not to send the ping

You can find it on the PC App Page : SplashBaseControl-V1.0.3-BETA

Please download that and let me know if it helps.

Upon first opening the application it should show your splashbase in the list at the top, if not press the "Find SplashBases" button.

Also when I'm home tonight, I'll publish a SplashBase Firmware update that will fix a GPIO expander issue as per my previous post.

If not ..

I am assuming your SplashBase is set to use DHCP (it does by default) and that your PC is on the same network?

When you first run the application windows will ask if you want to let it past the firewall which you will need to do. If you have a third party firewall you will need to let it through that as well. It uses UDP ports 11028 & 11029

Let me know how you get on.

Carl.
Carl-SolderSplash
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:54 pm

Hi Carl

I've tried the new version and opened the ports and I'm still not seeing my board in the list.
Dave

Postby Carl-SolderSplash » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:17 am

Can you see the LEDs on next to your SplashBase network connection, LED1 should be permanently on and LED2 flash with traffic. If not check your network cable.

It's either you have something on your network that is blocking UDP broadcasts or your on different IP address ranges stopping you communicating.

How is your PC connected to your home network, wired, wireless? If wireless some access points can isolate wireless members from accessing network devices, which you can usually switch off.

Connect via serial and issues the ipconfig command, i get this :

Code: Select all
>ipconfig
Dynamic IP
MAC : 00-04-a3-38-3d-43
IP : 192.168.0.15
Gateway : 192.168.0.1
Netmask : 255.255.255.0

What does yours show?

Does your SplashBase have an updated Clock? type
date
in to the serial promt, if this todays date, it indicates the network connection is okay and it can see the internet.

Now on the PC, find your IP address and subnet, you can do that by clicking the network connection under "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center" and then clicking details.

The other thing to do is a ping test ..
My SplashBase above says it is at IP address 192.168.0.15 on my PC,
Click the start button
type cmd, hit enter
then type ping 192.168.0.15 ( replace with your SplashBases IP )

Do you get a response?

If that works then something on your network is blocking broadcasts, I'll look to add a manual IP address entry to the PC app to help get around this but I've not seen it happen on home network equipment yet.

Sorry your having trouble, but we will get there!

Carl.
Carl-SolderSplash
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:09 am

Hi Carl

My PC is wired to the router and both LEDs are working as you suggested.

Using ipconfig I get:-

Dynamic IP
MAC : 00-04-a3-38-3d-73
IP : 192.168.0.6
Gateway : 192.168.0.1
Netmask : 255.255.255.0

Typing date I get:-

1970-01-01 00:07:41 - Offset : 0 minutes

My PC IP and Subnet are:-

When I ping 192.168.0.6 I get a response - 4 packets sent, 4 packets received.

So it looks like something is blocking broadcasts.

I don't have a lot of time this morning but I'll see if I get anything when I try a little netbook later.

Thanks for the help so far Carl.
Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:47 am

Just noticed my date is 1970. Does this mean the SplashBase is not connected to the internet?
Dave

Postby Carl-SolderSplash » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:50 am

So from that we can tell that it is on the network as you can ping it, it has a dynamic IP assigned by your DHCP so it can talk to the router.

But it can not see the internet as it's date is incorrect, I am assuming 192.168.0.1 is the routers IP (should be or all DHCP devices wouldn't be able to use your internet connection). you can try the command :
date update
via serial to force a refresh of the time and date, wait a few seconds and then send the
date
command again. Is the date correct now?

Back to the PC App..
Disabling the windows firewall or third party firewall ( Some antivirus protection packages have a firewall as well ) temporary and then trying the app would be a good idea.

What version of windows are you running? I've tested the App so far on Windows XP and Windows 7 32/64bit

What is the make and model of your router?
Carl-SolderSplash
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:49 pm

192.168.0.1 is the routers IP.

After using the command "date update" and then the command "date" I now get the correct date and time. Well the time is out by one hour but I read your post on correcting this.

I have tried disabling the Firewall but still had no joy.

I am running Windows 7 64bit.

Not sure of the make and model of my router. It's about a year old from Sky. I have logged into the router and tried allowing UDP ports 11028 & 11029 but still nothing.

I am about to see if my netbook can see the SplashBase on the network. I'll let you know how things go.
Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:59 pm

My netbook has no problem seeing the SplashBase.

Why won't my desktop see it?
Dave

Postby Carl-SolderSplash » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:04 pm

You shouldn't need to allow the ports on your router through that's usually for letting the outside world (internet) in to your network, Port forwarding.

The Date updating means the SplashBase is happy, it's on the network and can communicate with the internet to refresh it's time.

So now the question is, either something on your network is not allowing UDP broadcasts or something on your PC is blocking them.
Carl-SolderSplash
Site Admin

Next

Return to SplashBase LM3S6x