WiFiDip-UsbKitchenSink

A 40 Pin Dip packaged development board enabling you to create internet connected products

WiFiDip-UsbKitchenSink

Postby Sailing_Nut » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi,

I've been working on modifying the sample to add some of my own functionality. However, I'm now at a point where my WiFiDipCortex will no longer show up as a USB Serial port. (I'm on Win7 x64) It was working fine then it stopped working after I downloaded my firmware with changes. I then backed out all of my changes and re-downloaded but still no serial love from the board. :cry:

Any ideas on how I can go about debugging this?

Thanks!
Sailing_Nut

Re: WiFiDip-UsbKitchenSink

Postby Carl-SolderSplash » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:02 pm

It's difficult using mbed to debug issues like this, but have seen it when using a lot of libraries. I think it's a heap issue causing a hard fault. I've got around it by stripping out unused libraries.

If the board works with our sample code you can be certain it's not a hardware issue.

You could share your mbed code with me privately if you want me to take a look?
Carl-SolderSplash
Site Admin

Postby Sailing_Nut » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:06 pm

Carl-SolderSplash wrote:It's difficult using mbed to debug issues like this, but have seen it when using a lot of libraries. I think it's a heap issue causing a hard fault. I've got around it by stripping out unused libraries.

If the board works with our sample code you can be certain it's not a hardware issue.

You could share your mbed code with me privately if you want me to take a look?

Carl, I'd be happy to share my code. However I have commented out all of my changes and the resulting code is just the sample with more comments.

I really need to get an offline toolchain that supports debugging but they are all SO expensive!
Sailing_Nut

Postby Carl-SolderSplash » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:08 pm

LPCxpresso will work and it's free.

if you re-import the example project and build that does it work?
Carl-SolderSplash
Site Admin

Postby Sailing_Nut » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:14 pm

Carl-SolderSplash wrote:LPCxpresso will work and it's free.

Unfortunately the kitchen sink code is too big for it to compile in the free version. :cry:

Carl-SolderSplash wrote:if you re-import the example project and build that does it work?

OK re- importing has things working again. Now to figure out what I did to the project to kill it :oops: that I did not back out!
Sailing_Nut

Postby Sailing_Nut » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:27 pm

Now for the interesting thing.....

No difference in the two programs other than the comment lines and the definitions for SSID and AP_SECURITY in wifi.h. However I had the program working with the changes in wifi.h before!

Now time to strip out the comments for grins!
Sailing_Nut

Postby Sailing_Nut » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:36 pm

Sailing_Nut wrote:Now for the interesting thing.....

No difference in the two programs other than the comment lines and the definitions for SSID and AP_SECURITY in wifi.h. However I had the program working with the changes in wifi.h before!

Now time to strip out the comments for grins!

Strange issue with the mbed compiler, removing the commented lines gets the program to work again!

OK, the following kills the program! :evil: (I included some of the original code for context on where I'm putting the change in main.cpp)

Code: Select all
#ifndef CC3000_UNENCRYPTED_SMART_CONFIG
  const uint8_t smartconfigkey[] = {0x73,0x6d,0x61,0x72,0x74,0x63,0x6f,0x6e,0x66,0x69,0x67,0x41,0x45,0x53,0x31,0x36};
#else
  const uint8_t smartconfigkey = 0;
#endif

//const uint8_t devUUID1[] = {'7', '9', '6', 'c', '2', '7', 'c', '0'};
//const uint8_t devUUID2[] = {'8', '2', '0', '7'};
//const uint8_t devUUID3[] = {'1', '1', 'e', '3'};
//const uint8_t devUUID4[] = {'b', 'a', 'a', '7'};
//const uint8_t devUUID5[] = {'0', '8', '0', '0', '2', '8', '5', '7', '3', '8', '5', '3'};

const int ECHO_SERVER_PORT_UDP = 81;
uint8_t *HostToPing = (uint8_t *)"google.com";
tNetappIpconfigRetArgs ipinfo;
extern char tmpBuffer[512];
Sailing_Nut

Postby Carl-SolderSplash » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:43 pm

That sound very odd, removing commented out code should have no effect..

if you get stuck, publish your mbed program, you can set the visability to public unlisted if you dont want the world looking, then send me a link I can import it and have a look.
Carl-SolderSplash
Site Admin

Postby Sailing_Nut » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:48 pm

Carl-SolderSplash wrote:That sound very odd, removing commented out code should have no effect..

if you get stuck, publish your mbed program, you can set the visability to public unlisted if you dont want the world looking, then send me a link I can import it and have a look.

Well, it gets stranger! I removed the commented code and it still won't connect.

I'm going to play with a few more things to see if I can isolate the problem. I must be doing something else wrong that is causing the problem! :shock:
Sailing_Nut

Postby Sailing_Nut » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:19 pm

It looks like I discovered the problem. I was getting bitten by the "rebuild all" bug.

I've only had time to test it once but it seems to have solved my issue! :D
Sailing_Nut

Next

Return to WiFi DipCortex