Kitchen Sink (Or any other example) in LPCXpresso

A 40 Pin Dip packaged development board enabling you to create internet connected products

Kitchen Sink (Or any other example) in LPCXpresso

Postby Sailing_Nut » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi,

I've been playing with the kitchen sink example from the online compiler and got it working well.

I then want to export to LPCXpresso (using the Code Red export) and the compiler refuses to export because I have my board selected as the WiFi Dip Cortex. If I change the board type then it will let me export, but it will then contain the wrong mbed libraries.

Are there any examples available for the WiFi Dip Cortex that are set up in LPCXpresso?

I really want to begin my development of this with the offline compiler and debugging capability.

Thanks!
Sailing_Nut

Re: Kitchen Sink (Or any other example) in LPCXpresso

Postby Carl-SolderSplash » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:47 pm

Hi

mbed use an optomised compiler that currently can't be matched by GCC, which LPCXpresso use. The Mbed library is also C++. So the footprint is quite large.

We did try to squeeze mbed in but if you do anything more than toggle an IO your out of luck : https://github.com/SolderSplashLabs/Dipcortex-mbed

For the WiFi DipCortex we have a LPCXpresso example here : https://github.com/SolderSplashLabs/WiFi-DipCortex

We have implemented the TI library, set up USB CDC and added a terminal to control the module.

It's missing some of higher level protocols that you get with mbed library's like websocket and httpclient. but will show you how to make UDP/TCP clients or servers.

It should give you a good place to start.
Carl-SolderSplash
Site Admin

Postby Sailing_Nut » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:25 am

Thanks for the info, now I have something to play with!

One followup question, do you have any sample projects for any "commercial" compilers? As I get more serious about doing development for the mbed platform and ARM MCUs in general, I am thinking it might make sense to sink some money into a commercially supported ARM compiler. However, (as I'm sure you know) it can be a very significant investment so I'm looking for advice on a good dev suite.

One that stood out to me because they offer an educational license for $99 is Sourcery CodeBench (formerly CodeSourcery) by Mentor Graphics. Have you ever worked with this IDE and can you provide any feedback on it? Thanks!
Sailing_Nut

Postby Carl-SolderSplash » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:58 am

Commercial compilers :

Rowley CrossStudio is one I have used a lot in the past - It covers most major ARM devices - it uses a modified GCC compiler and supports a huge number of jtags/debuggers (not a lot of other compilers do) $1500 for commercial use. £150 for personal, $300 educational

IAR - Not a huge fan, but I dont have a huge amount of experience with it

Keil/uVision - Being owned by ARM the compiler is very good and the code it produces is generally smaller than GCC. But it is expensive. You can download mbed projects for offline debugging as well, the compiler is as good as mbed.

LPCXpresso - Free up to 256kb which covers the DipCortex, For NXP devices using C this would be my choice. $500 I think for an unlimited licence and support.

CooCox - Have used this briefly for an ST part seemed okay.

Haven't tried Sourcery.

Hopefully my C example should be fairly portable between compilers. We have not yet tried though so it might require some effort.
Carl-SolderSplash
Site Admin

Return to WiFi DipCortex