SplashBase LM3S6x setup for beginner

Got a problem you need to solve? Ask us here and we will see if there's a way to do it with our kit

SplashBase LM3S6x setup for beginner

Postby naokibizen » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:36 pm

I am very beginner for SplashBase LM3S6x and would like to know how to setup the config of SplashBase LM3S6x. Can you give advice how to achieve the board setting? My environment is

* Mac Powerbook
* SplashBase LM3S6x
* Four Relay

I have just connected micro USB to the SplashBase LM3S6x for power which seems green light on. - - Is this correct?
Then I connect LAN cable to the SplashBase LM3S6x from my Mac and setup IP address of Mac like 192.168.1.100/24

How can we access to the SplashBase LM3S6x through TCPIP from here? -- - please suggest..

Regards,
Naoki Bizen
naokibizen

Re: SplashBase LM3S6x setup for beginner

Postby Carl-SolderSplash » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:38 pm

Hi Naoki,

You can control the SplashBase using the USB connection with a coms terminal, Cool Term seems popular although I have not used it : http://freeware.the-meiers.org/

Commands can be found here : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7

As for network control the example firmware can be controlled via a PC application and an Android app. We don't currently have a MAC application.

When powered the green led will light up. To use the relays you will need a 12V power supply.

Initially the SplashBase will need to be on a network with a DHCP server so that it can be assigned an IP address after that using the Serial or PC app you can configure a static address.
Carl-SolderSplash
Site Admin

Postby naokibizen » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:10 pm

Hello SolderSPlash,

I tried to access to the SplashBase board but not successful yet. So let me double check how the SplashBase should work step by step. Please clarify if I was taking wrong step and correct me.

TRY#1
1) Insert LAN cable to connect DHCP server and to assign SplashBase itslef a IP address dynamically.
2) Then Insert 12V DC to the board
3) A Green light (LED3) turns ON.
4) However no network signal (LED1, LED2) ON... ?? WHY ??

TRY#2
1) Insert LAN cable to connect DHCP server and to assign SplashBase itslef a IP address dynamically.
2) Then pLug usb cable to the board, which other side of usb is connected to the 5V AC adapter
4) However no network signal (LED1, LED2) ON... ?? WHY ??

TRY#3
2) Then usb cable to the board, which usb is connect to the 5V AC adapter)
4) Then Insert 12V DC to the board...
5) However no network signal (LED1, LED2) ON... ?? WHY ??
6) And... after a few seconds, SMOKE came from one of small device of Four Relays....
7) We stop all experiments !!! -- we are now here.

So what wrong with our step?? Why there is no network traffic appears?
Is there something wrong with the SplashBase itself? OR
Is there any wrong step in 3 TRYs? - - - please please correct us what were wrong to connect SplashBase via IP address.

Best Regards,

naokibizen
naokibizen

Postby Carl-SolderSplash » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:45 pm

The only reason for the relay board to fail is that it has been connected the wrong way around. The board before shipping was updated and tested on a network so should have worked for you.

Take the Relay board off, this sounds damaged, connecting it incorrectly could have damaged the main processor if you shorted 12v to 5v for instance.

You can check the board by ..
Connecting the SplashBase to your PC via USB and connect your Ethernet lead. Do you know that the Ethernet lead works? check it with a laptop or PC. The link LED should come on first and stay lit. the ACT LED will blink intermitantly

In your device manager you should see a new com port if you have the FTDI driver installed. Use a coms terminal program, like putty to open this com port at 115200 baud rate. Hit enter and you should get a menu.

type "ipconfig" with out quotes, what does it say?

you can try to default to factory default the board by issuing these commands :
"config factorydefault"
"reboot"

then issue ipconfig again.
Carl-SolderSplash
Site Admin

Postby naokibizen » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:31 am

Hello SolderSPlash,

We still have problem to connect SplashBase LM3S6x board from Mac/PC even though we followed your procedure as below. The Ethernet is not active because both 2 ACT LED stay unlit....

You can check the board by ..
Connecting the SplashBase to your PC via USB and connect your Ethernet lead.
Do you know that the Ethernet lead works? check it with a laptop or PC.
The link LED should come on first and stay lit.
the ACT LED will blink intermitantly

The procedure you showed us is what we have done at the very fast message on DEC/7/2013.
I connected USB cable from Mac/PC to the SplashBase LM3S6x board, which gives the power 5V green light ON clearly on the board. However the ACT LED for the Ethernet have never get green so far...

From this, we strongly assume/understand that something wrong with the board initially...
What do you think? Please give us your comment.

We can ship this SplashBase board to your office for further problem investigation.
Or We can purchase the another board which 120% sure-to-work-assurance with your credential.

So please assist what we should make SplashBase board works as expected...
Is there any step missing so far to make SplashBase board run?

Best Regards,
naokibizen

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:26 am

Naoki Bizen

Have you installed the driver on your Mac?

You can find the drivers here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
Dave

Postby Carl-SolderSplash » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:05 am

HI Naoki,

It does sound like something happened to it initially which has damaged the processor. Most likely relating to the connection of the Relay board. Since we want to look after you, I shall ship you a replacement tomorrow. I will put them on test on a network as before and send assembled if possible to reduce risk. Will let you know when they are on their way.
Carl-SolderSplash
Site Admin

Postby naokibizen » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:41 am

Dave,

thank you for your advice. We have not installed the FTDI driver for enabling com port access yet since we have not reached to the point we need it as far as the problem phenomenon is concerned. The problem we have now is physical/fundamental link at network layer 1 or 2, not 3 (com port level) since the both LAN LED lights somehow never come on green yet... that's our understanding, maybe wrong or maybe correct. - - - it would be great and wonderful if you give us more suggestion!!

SolderSplash,

We are glad to hear that but we would like to purchase the new SplashBase Board. - We will go and get one now. However what we like to ensure is that... for beginner like us....as below

1) USB cable from Mac/PC to SplashBase Board... What is this for ? Is this for giving 5V power to SplashBase board?
or/and Is this also configuration connection cable to SplashBase from Mac/PC?

2) LAN cable... what is this for? Is this for configuration connection cable to SplashBase from Mac/PC?
What is the initial IP address? If it possbile, we would like you to setup initial static IP address like 192.168.1.100 for example, so that we can connect to the SplashBase Board without access trouble... If it is DHCP, it is unsure what IP address will be assigned to the Splashbase Board.

We are not sure why ACT LED light are not green even after LAN cable is connected. We assume that this may be physical problem or just only network setting is not active at OS level on SPlashBase Board. At latter case, we have also a question how we can access to the SplashBase Board from Mac/PC, USB cable or LAN cable... If it is USB cable, we may beed to install FTDI driver to enable com port access..as Dave suggested. If it is so, please for give our lack of knowledge...

Best Regards,
naokibizen

Postby Carl-SolderSplash » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:30 am

The ACT LED will only blink on activity on the network. It wont stay on permanently.

You should install the USB driver, I thought you had already done this!? This will let you talk to the processor and control it as well as checking the network connection. Please do this and let us know if you can see the command menu and what "ipconfig" reports

The USB connection can power the baseboard only, this is enough for networking. The relay board requires 12V to activate the relays, if there is no 12V's the relays wont activate but nothing bad should happen.
Carl-SolderSplash
Site Admin

Postby naokibizen » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:05 pm

Hello SoldeSplash,

It seems like we got a little foward-step about connection bettwen Mac and SplashBase Board.

1) USB connection
We understood that this is the way to connect to the SplashBoard. - - We misunderstood that LAN cable was the only way to access to the SPlashBoard...this was wrong... Now we have installed the USB driver from FTTDI web site...to the Mac..
However we have still struggling to connect to the SplashBase board about serial connection settings...please give us advice as following information..

1 Port--OK--- = /dev/tty.usbserial-DB003T09
2 Band Rate (Speed) -- OK -- = 115200
3 Date Bit --- 8 or 7 ??
4 Parity --- None? Even? or Odd?
5 Stopbit --- 1?
6 Flow Controls ---CTS ? DTR?
7 Others!!

We are very beginner with system like SplashBase board. Please give us advice how to connect to the SplashBase board through USB cable. Here are images...

2.png
#1 Serial Port Settings
2.png (124.17 KiB) Viewed 88865 times

1.png
#2 Terminal Settings
1.png (125.2 KiB) Viewed 88865 times

3.png
#3 Other Settings....
3.png (133.52 KiB) Viewed 88865 times

Best Regards!!
We also ensure that our Mac has Intrel iCore5 which should be x64 for choosing a correct USB driver in FTDI site...
naokibizen

Next

Return to How Do I?